Waterman building

The University of Vermont offers a limited number of Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantships. These positions are open to both domestic and international students and generally offer tuition support from the University. We recommend that you contact your Graduate Program Coordinator/Director for more information about the availability of these assistantships.

If you are not receiving tuition support from the University, the Student Financial Services tuition rates page will help you budget for your education. Please note that these rates are for the current academic year, and students should anticipate an annual increase in tuition and fees.

Find it Fast:


Helpful Resources as you Plan your Finances for Graduate School

Federal loans are the primary source of financial assistance for domestic graduate students. Below are some helpful links with information about student loans and other financial resources you can use to fund your graduate education. International and non-domestic students, please see the Resources for Searching for External Funding section for loan and scholarship options.


Assistantships/Fellowships Available through UVM Resources

Tuition scholarships accompanying Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantships do not cover audits or physical education activity courses, nor do they cover courses numbered below 200 or 200-level courses not approved for graduate credit, except upon prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate College. Read more


Position Descriptions, Stipend Rates and Details

Position Descriptions:

Graduate Assistant (GA): Graduate Assistantships are positions held within the university where students are supported from a source external from the college. Typical sources are research grants or Division of Student Affairs.

Graduate Teaching or Research Assistant (GTA or GRA): GTAs and GRAs are teaching and/ or research assignments allocated by various departments and programs who are offering graduate work.


(Effective for the 2022-23 Academic Year)

Stipend RateThe minimum 9-month stipend is $17,852 for Master's students and $22,244 for doctoral students. The minimum 12-month stipend is $23,802 for Master's students and $29,658 for doctoral students.
EnrollmentFull-time GAs/GTAs/GRAs are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits per semester. Half-time assistants are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 5 credits per semester.
Tuition ScholarshipFull-time GAs/GTAs/GRAs are eligible to have 9 credits paid for per semester, while half-time assistants are eligible to have 6 credits paid for per semester.
Hours Per WeekFull-time GAs/GTAs/GRAs assignments require 20 hours of effort per week, while half-time assignments require 10 hours of effort per week.
How to ApplyPlease contact the department you are enrolled in to inquire about available positions.



Resources for Searching for External Funding

Scholarships a-z

Scholarships a-z is a database of scholarship and award opportunities available for students regardless of citizenship status.

MPower Financing (for international students)

MPower Financing is a private lender that provides loans for international students.

Pivot (for admitted and enrolled students only)

The University of Vermont subscribes to Pivot, a web-based funding and collaboration tool. Students are encouraged to sign up for a Pivot user account to track, save and share funding opportunities. Access the instructions to sign up or start running your own searches.
The Graduate College has collaborated with UVM's Sponsored Project Administration (SPA) to create a Pivot search to assist graduate students in finding potential external funding opportunities.

Graduate Student Funding Opportunities

International/Non-domestic Student Funding Opportunities

For assistance on using Pivot and searching for external funding, please contact:
Cailey Biles
Phone: (802) 656-1322
Email: Cailey.Biles@uvm.edu



For more information or help, please contact the Graduate College at:

The Graduate College Dean's Office
The University of Vermont
330 Waterman Building
Burlington, Vermont 05405

Telephone: (802) 656-3160
Fax: (802) 656-0519
E-mail: gradcoll@uvm.edu